Saturday, February 11, 2023

Inspired valentines

After making all my valentines for Meals on Wheels, sometimes it's hard to decide what I want to create for my own valentines. But this year I knew exactly what I wanted to do:

I was inspired by an artist named Andrea Nelson. Her website and shop is A Dream or a Day Art, and her Instagram account is @andreanelsonart. On Instagram, she shares all kinds of ideas for fun, non-intimidating, and often kid-friendly art projects. This bold heart-themed idea jumped out at me a few weeks ago.

For this project, I used three empty toilet paper tubes cut in half to make six short tubes. Then I bent each short tube into a heart shape. I chose six colors of acrylic paint and put some of each color onto a flat surface (e.g., paper plate, piece of cardboard, etc.). Using one tube for each color, I dipped the heart-shaped end into the paint and then pressed it onto a piece of heavy black card stock sized for a card front. I overlapped the hearts and didn't worry if the paint dripped onto the paper -- I even added some extra paint splatter when I was done with the hearts.

Halfway through I decided to adjust my color pallet. The dark green and magenta were difficult to see against the black, so I switched to light pink and light blue. I used the same paint tubes; since the previous paint left on the tubes was dry, the colors didn't mix.

Once the panels were dry, I adhered each one to a light colored card base, and using foam tape I added a valentine-themed sentiment strip near the bottom of the card. The final touch was three little gems.

I hope your Valentine's Day is filled with love and friendship. Thanks for stopping by!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun cards, and a really fun idea! You can guess what I'll be trying today! The colours look great on the black card! You come up with some fabulous ideas Andrea! Thanks for sharing, and I hope your Valentines Day is filled with love and laughter!
Sunshine.

Anonymous said...

So creative! They look amazing - love all the cheerful colors. Thanks for sharing and hope you have a great Valentine's day.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thank you so much, Judy and Sunshine!