Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Plaid birthdays

While I was making cards this weekend, I came across some plaid backgrounds I made ages ago. (Did you have the old Plaidmaker stencils from Stampin' Up!?) I decided to use them to make two birthday cards, and here are the results:

The bold backgrounds were a challenge for me, but I think the cards turned out pretty good. For the pink and brown plaid, I used a pink card base and added a stitched frame that I happened to have sitting on my desk. (I love using up the pieces I've already cut out and/or colored.) I used the Cupcake Builder punch to create a pick and brown cupcake, which I glued to a white stitched oval and then attached to the card using foam tape. I added a sentiment on a strip and finished the card with a few sequins.

For the second card I wanted to create something that was a little more masculine. I used a blue card base and die cut several balloons out of blue, plum, and orange card stock to match the plaid. I used a white paint pen to add accents on the balloons and glued most of them to the background. I stamped and embossed a sentiment on a large blue balloon, tied a crochet thread bow around the neck, and then added it to the card with foam tape. Three blue sequins finish off the card.

Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look like fun cards to make Andrea! Especially as there is no colouring in to do on them, which I like! I never bought the SU plaid maker stencils, but if I ever see any pre loved ones for sale I would be very tempted to buy them! Looks like a fun and easy way to make great backgrounds!
Sunshine.

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! Now that stencils are popular again, there are probably other companies that make something similar. :)