Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Making cards with stickers

Earlier this summer I found a new-to-me company called JD+Brooklyn, which specializes in diverse stickers for planners or journals. I have not gotten into the planner culture, but while I was browsing all the awesome sticker designs, I found several sets that I thought would be really fun for card-making, including fairies, ice cream treats, cute little animals dressed like pirates, and fun pandas. I haven't had a chance to use all of them yet, but I do have a few cards to share with the fairies and ice cream treats.


Supplies:
Stamps: Pure Magic (Essentials by Ellen), Twinkle Twinkle Background (Taylored Expressions), December 2018 My Monthly Hero kit (Hero Arts)
Paper: Whisper White, thick Whisper White, Basic Black, Gorgeous Grape card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: VersaMark, Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko); journaling pen (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Fairy stickers (JD+Brooklyn), Frost White shimmer paint (Tsukineko), Opaque Bright White embossing powder (WOW!), Layering Squares dies (Stampin' Up!), Princess sequins (Craft Medley), Moonshine confetti (Hero Arts), Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), sponge dauber (Stampin' Up!), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute), foam tape (3M)

I love these little fairies sitting on the mushroom houses, and they are perfect for the magic- and fairy-related sentiment stamps I have. For the purple card, I adhered the largest sticker to a square of white card stock, matted it with a black scalloped square, and then set it aside while I made the card base. I wanted a magical-looking background, so I applied Frost White shimmer paint to the Twinkle Twinkle Background stamp and then stamped it on a purple card base. When the shimmer paint was dry, I stamped the sentiment near the bottom of the card with VersaMark ink and embossed it with white embossing powder. I added the focal panel with foam tape and scattered some purple sequins to finish the card.


I wanted to do something different for the second card, so I went the clean-and-simple route. Using a thick white card base, I stamped the sentiment near the lower right corner and adhered the sticker above the sentiment. Then I used a journaling marker to draw a whimsical border around the whole card. For a little embellishment, I added some sparkly Moonshine confetti. I wasn't sure how this card would turn out, but I actually think it's my favorite of the two!

Supplies:
Stamps: Here's the Scoop (Concord & 9th)
Paper: Crumb Cake, Whisper White, Bermuda Bay, Lovely Lipstick, Gorgeous Grape card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko)
Accessories: Stickers (JD+Brooklyn), Here's the Scoop dies (Concord & 9th), Layering Circles and Stitched Shapes dies, Dimensionals (Stampin' Up!)

This sticker sheet had four rows of the same six stickers, so I decided to use one row per card and then add the extra stickers inside the cards. These images worked perfectly for a grid layout, so I die cut eighteen small stitched white circles and added stickers on them. Then I matted those circles with scalloped circles in coordinating card stock colors and adhered six circles to each Crumb Cake card base. To add a sentiment, I stamped a perfect "You're so sweet" on little die-cut banners and used Dimensionals to add one to each card.


Inside the cards I added a white panel stamped with a big "Happy Birthday!" sentiment and two more stickers in the bottom right corner.

I also want to add that I had a great customer service experience with JD+Brooklyn. After my order initially shipped, I waited awhile, but it never arrived. The tracking info for the order never even updated, so it must have been stuck somewhere. But the company re-sent my order, and I received that one just fine. Yay! So check them out if you're looking for some fun stickers for your planner or journal -- or for making cards!
 
Thanks so much for stopping by today!
 


2 comments:

Sunshine. said...

Very cute cards! Love the starry back ground!
Sunshine.

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine!