Wednesday, May 19, 2021

More cards from a calendar

When I made my February Christmas cards this year, instead of using stamps to create my focal images, I cut up pages from a couple of old calendars. Today I'm going to share a card set and a collection of birthday cards made with calendar pages.

Supplies:
Paper: Brilliant White 120lb card stock (Purely Simple Paper), glossy black paper (Concord & 9th), vellum card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Stardust Clear Gelly Roll pen (Sakura)
Accessories: Smile die (Gina K Designs), Big Hello Sugar Script die (Birch Press Design), Celebrate Sugar Script die (Birch Press Design), Thanks die (Taylored Expressions), Thinking of You die (Honey Bee Stamps), Large Stitched Rectangle Stackables dies (Lawn Fawn), sparkling clear sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

I love the bright, bold print on this calendar page, and I didn't want to detract from the colorful images, so I kept these cards really simple. I started by using an A2-sized stitched rectangle die to cut out the five hummingbird images, and then I adhered each one to a plain white card base.

I used a glittery gel pen to add highlights to each hummingbird, and I love the little touch of sparkle. I decided I wanted to add sentiments to the cards, so I chose five word dies and cut them out of glossy black paper. (A couple of them also had shadow dies, which I cut out of vellum card stock.) I adhered one word die cut to each card and finished off with sparkling clear sequins. These cards aren't fancy, but wouldn't it make you smile to pull one of them out of an envelope?

Supplies:
Stamps: Tiny Words Birthday (Simon Says Stamp)
Paper: Gray Granite, Basic black, Basic Gray, Calypso Coral card stock; gold foil sheets; swirls vellum (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Basic Gray (Stampin' Up!), Stardust Gelly Roll pen (Sakura)
Accessories: Well Written dies (Stampin' Up!), Happy Birthday die (Avery Elle), Happy Birthday die (Stampin' Up!), Celebrate die (My Favorite Things), white rhinestones (Taylored Expressions), Bubble Blower droplets (Trinity Stamps), Iridescent Sequin Assortment (Stampin' Up!), Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), clear shimmer spray (Avery Elle), foam tape (3M), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

These watercolor-style balloons were perfect for a collection of birthday cards for my stash. I cut several panels out of the calendar page and sprayed them with shimmer spray. I also traced the balloon strings with a Stardust Gelly Roll pen to help them stand out. 

I trimmed some of the panels, rounded some corners, and adhered each one to a card base. I used several card stock colors and coordinated the card base with the die-cut sentiment for each card. I finished the cards with a variety of sequins, rhinestones, or droplets.

 

Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was my first reaction to the humming bird cards - so colorful and pretty! The added sparkle is very nice and the vellum shadow is a great idea...adds interest but doesn't conceal the image. Both the humming bird and balloon cards are good ideas for using papers with large scale designs.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! Large prints on cards can be tricky for me. I think the trick is to just them be the focal point. :)