Friday, October 30, 2020

October Christmas card: Nordic simplicity

I wasn't sure if I was going to make any Christmas cards this month. I already had most (if not all) of the cards I needed, and it's still hard for me to focus on card-making. But when I received the October My Monthly Hero kit, I loved the Nordic-style images and wanted to make a few clean and simple cards.

Supplies:
Kit: October 2020 My Monthly Hero kit (Hero Arts)
Paper: Crumb Cake note cards and envelopes, Whisper White card stock (Stampin' Up!); Gold Mirri Sparkle Paper (The Paper Cut)
Ink: Old Olive, Real Red, Crumb Cake (Stampin' Up!); Sugar Cube (Taylored Expressions)
Accessories: Jute twine (May Arts Ribbon), Confetti Star Border Punch (Stampin' Up!), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

These are note cards (3-1/2" x 5"), so they are smaller than standard A2 cards, but I think this size is perfect for these smaller images. And there are so many images to choose from in this kit! For the front of my card design I decided to use a tree, the two reverse-image deer, and a tulip-style flower.

I stamped the images in a line directly on the front of the card using Real Red, Old Olive, and Crumb Cake inks. (I thought about stamping on a layer of white card stock to adhere to the card front, but I really wanted to make a single-layer card design.) Using Sugar Cube ink, which is so far my favorite white pigment ink, I stamped a sentiment directly below the images.

To keep with the natural feel of the design, I used jute twine to make a bow, which I glued just below the sentiment. I played around with the idea of adding sequins, but since this layout is symmetrical, I thought scattering sequins would make it feel off-balance. So instead I added a tiny punched gold star to the top of the tree.

Inside the card I did add a layer of white card stock. I stamped the sentiment using Crumb Cake ink, a flower/snowflake in Real Red, and two branches in Old Olive. I love that little pop of color.

Well, now that my cards are all made, I need to get busy on some other holiday projects! Thanks for stopping by!


5 comments:

Sunshine. said...

These are great Andrea! I like that you stamped the sentiment in white ink, I think it looks good! It looks like a fun set, and you have given me some inspiration - again!!
Hope you are well - hugs from Sunshine.

Lisa Petrella said...

I love these! They're so beautiful!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful cards! They definitely showcase the Nordic / Scandinavian design style with the symmetrical layout. I really like the sentiment on the front as well - traditional, but a change from the more common phrases.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I really liked the sentiment in white, too! :)

Andrea said...

Thank you, Judy! I had fun with the symmetrical layout. I thought about adding more images on the front, but I decided I liked the simplicity of the single row.