Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Alcohol ink cards

A few months ago I pulled out my alcohol inks and YUPO paper and played around with making some colorful panels to use for card making. I love the bright, bold colors of the panels as well as the cards I made with them.

Supplies:
Paper: Basic Black, thick Whisper White card stock (Stampin' Up!), woodgrain embossed card stock (Essentials by Ellen), white alcohol ink card stock (YUPO)
Ink: Chili Pepper, Sunbright Yellow, Senorita Magenta, Lime Green, Sapphire Blue, Rich Gold alcohol inks (Jacquard Pinata Color)
Accessories: Poppy Moments dies (Stampin' Up!), Sentimental Dies (Avery Elle), Bubble Blower droplets (Trinity Stamps), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute), Dimensionals (Stampin' Up!)
Other: 91% rubbing alcohol

I thought I had taken a picture of the panels before I made the cards, but apparently not. I made one that was shades of red with gold, one that was shades of green with gold, and one that was a rainbow (more with that one later). I decided to use the red and green panels to create some flowers, and the Poppy Moments dies were perfect.

The flowers and leaves are made with layering dies; between that and the different shades created with the alcohol inks, these poppies have a lot of depth. I die cut two poppies, two buds, and two different leaves for my card. With all that color and gold sparkle, I wanted to keep the card base clean and simple. A panel of woodgrain-textured white card stock was perfect because it adds interest to the background without being a distraction.

With the flowers placed near the top of the card, I wanted to add some visual weight at the bottom. I adhered a narrow strip of black card stock along the bottom edge and then added a black die-cut "celebrate" sentiment right above it. For a simple embellishment I added three bubble droplets (they are clear but have an iridescent quality).

Supplies:
Paper: 110-lb Solar White card stock (Neenah), alcohol ink card stock (YUPO)
Ink: Chili Pepper, Sunbright Yellow, Lime Green, Sapphire Blue, Senorita Magenta (Jacquard Pinata Color)
Accessories: Lucky to Know You die (Simon Says Stamp), sparkling clear sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), shimmer mist made with Shimmer Liquid Watercolor (Taylored Expressions), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)
Other: 91% rubbing alcohol

I originally wanted to make this card for a friend for St. Patrick's Day, although I didn't get to it it until a couple of months later. But the sentiment is true all year 'round, and I know she appreciated it when she did receive it. 

At any rate, I used five alcohol ink colors to create this fluid, swirly rainbow. I trimmed the panel down, but it was still too large for an A2-size card So instead I made this one for a business-size or #10 envelope, which is 4-1/8" x 9-1/2". (Now I would call it a slimline card, but when I made this back in May, that style wasn't yet all the rage.)

I used white card stock for the base, splattered it with shimmer mist for a little sparkle, and adhered the rainbow panel in the center. For the sentiment, I cut the phrase from white card stock two or three times and glued the layers together to give it some "oomph." Then I glued the words near the top of the rainbow panel and surrounded it with a few clear sequins.

Supplies:
Stamps: Simple Strips Background (Taylored Expresisons)
Paper: Thick Whisper White, Basic Black card stock (Stampin' Up!); alcohol ink card stock (YUPO)
Ink: Chili Pepper, Sunbright Yellow, Lime Green, Sapphire Blue, Senorita Magenta (Jacquard Pinata Color)
Accessories: Simple Strips and Stitched Frames dies (Taylored Expressions), Bitty Butterfly and Elegant Butterfly punches (Stampin' Up!), white embossing powder (Hero Arts), Dimensionals (Stampin' Up!)

After I made the first card, I had some pieces of the rainbow panel leftover that I didn't want to throw away, so I decided to make one more quick card. Using two different size punches, I punched several butterflies out of the alcohol ink panel. For the card base I glued a black die-cut frame to a white card and then arranged eight of the butterflies inside the frame. (The larger butterflies are attached with Dimensionals.) I finished the card with a simple embossed sentiment strip.

Thanks for stopping by!


4 comments:

Sunshine. said...

Alcohol inks are so much fun, and these bright cheerful cards are great! I also really like the woodgrain white cardstock, that is really pretty. Like you said, it's there but doesn;t distract you from the beautiful flower. Love the clear bubble drops, so pretty!
Sunshine

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cards - the ink effects are wonderful. The flowers, background and punched butterflies showcase how the inked papers can be used in different ways. The gold accents in the flowers are especially eye-catching!
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I love the woodgrain card stock; I'm using it sparingly so it lasts for awhile! :)

Andrea said...

Thank you so much, Judy! I love that little gold sparkle!