Saturday, November 6, 2021

Autumn pop-up cards

One of the things I've been trying to focus on since I moved is using more of the craft supplies I already have. Packing and unpacking everything in my craft room made me realize how much stuff I have, especially things like patterned paper, embellishments, and even the various bits and pieces I hang onto, like die-cut pieces I didn't use on a card or backgrounds that I'm not sure I like. So with that in mind I used an old card kit from Close to My Heart to create some autumn-themed pop-up cards.

Supplies:
Stamps: French Foliage, Lighthearted Leaves (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: From the Heart card kit (Close to My Heart)
Ink: Crushed Curry, Pool Party, Soft Suede, Cajun Craze (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Washi tape (Handmade Modern), gold sequin trim (Stampin' Up!), wooden leaves (Paper Source), Scor-Tape (Scor-Pal), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

This card kit, which I've had sitting on my shelf for at least four years, had supplies to make twelve cards and came with a pretty floral/sentiment stamp set. I used that set to make a couple of birthday cards, but I decided to use the rest of the bases for these autumn cards. (The French Foliage stamp sets is one of my favorites, and I don't get to use it enough!)

You're probably wondering how these are pop-up cards, so here is a photo with one of the cards opened:

The card base is actually a pocket with a piece of card stock inside the pocket and a piece of card stock that lays on top of the gold frame. The pieces are attached at the bottom, and when you pull the piece inside the pocket, it makes the piece on the outside pop up. I'm certain you could make this type of card base from scratch, but I don't have the patience for that, so it was fun to use the kit to make a different card style.

I decorated the front of the card with some collage-style stamping and added a few little embellishments. On the back panel, which you see when the card is "opened," I stamped a quote sentiment and a single leaf. I debated whether to write my message on the piece of card stock that slides inside the pocket or on the back of the card. I decided to go with the inside piece, which was a little tricky because I had to work around the front layer being popped up, because it seemed odd to just leave that space blank.

I'm hoping I'll be able to make a few more autumn cards to send out for Thanksgiving before we get into winter and Christmas. (Eek - how is it that time already?!) Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

Sunshine. said...

MMM, what lovely Autumn colours Andrea! I really like the pop up design too! I'm like you, I don't think I would have the mojo to make them unless they were already made in a kit! The stamped saying is great too!
Glad to see you're getting back into your stamp room!
BTW, I have posted your Christmas card the other day!
Sunshne.

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I've been trying to make a little more time for crafting because I have to get holiday gifts made! Great job getting your cards out early! I'll probably start sending mine at the end of the month. :)