Monday, July 20, 2020

Sending tropical sunshine

I'm back with a couple more tropical-themed cards today. And boy do I wish I could snap my fingers and find myself in the middle of these scenes!


I made these two cards with the new Sending Sunshine stamp set from Stampin' Up! I knew I would get this set as soon as I saw it in the catalog.

Supplies:
Stamps: Sending Sunshine (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Whisper White, Bermuda Bay, Coastal Cabana card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Bermuda Bay, Coastal Cabana, Crumb Cake, Mango Melody, Shaded Spruce (Stampin' Up!); Sugar Cube (Taylored Expressions); Balmy Blue, Crumb Cake Blends markers (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Birthday Wishes Frame die (Simon Says Stamp), opaque bright white superfine embossing powder (WOW! Embossing Powder), Oceanside dew drops (Honey Bee Stamps), foam tape (3M)

This set has multiple stamps so it's easy to layer on the different colors (and it was pretty easy to line up the stamps, too). For this first card, I stamped all the images on white card stock. To create the blue sky, I just colored the card stock with a Balmy Blue Blends alcohol marker. (You could also try using a blender brush or brayer to apply ink, but since it was a relatively small area, I decided I had more control with a marker.) Then I stamped and embossed the clouds in the sky.

I wanted this scene to look like a photo, so I die cut the Birthday Wishes Frame from white card stock and then just used snipped off the words from the middle of the frame. It makes a perfect-looking Polaroid picture! I adhered the stamped panel behind the frame and stamped the sentiment along the bottom.

For the card base I used Coastal Cabana card stock with a strip of Bermuda Bay card stock along the left side. I added score lines every 1/4" on the Bermuda Bay card stock to add a little bit of texture. I attached the focal "photo" to the card with foam tape and finished off the card with three dew drops.

Supplies:
Stamps: Sending Sunshine
Paper: Whisper White, Pool Party, Crumb Cake card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Coastal Cabana, Bermuda Bay, Shaded Spruce, Crumb Cake, Mango Melody (Stampin' Up!); Sugar Cube (Taylored Expressions)
Accessories: Sea Life wooden shapes (Darice), Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers)

For this card I started with a Pool Party card base and added a layer of Crumb Cake card stock to the bottom half of the card for the sand. I stamped the cluster of dots to add texture to the sand and then added a sentiment and a few little grasses.

I stamped the water and sun images on white card stock and then cut out the full image and glued it on the "sand" so the horizon lined up with top of the Crumb Cake card stock. I stamped a few fluffy white clouds and used the larger grass image on the side to look like a tree branch. (I saw that idea in a sample in the catalog, and I thought it was so clever!)

The card still needed "something," and I remembered that I have a set of nautical-themed wooden shapes. This little sailboat floating toward the sunset seemed like the perfect finishing touch!

Thanks so much for stopping by today!

2 comments:

Sunshine. said...

What cute and fun cards! I love that little sailboat, just perfect for the card! I too wish I cold snap my fingers and be on that warm sunshiney beach! It's freezing cold and wet here and I am so over winter! These cards make me feel like Summer is close by!

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! Oh, I am not looking forward to winter this year, especially with the coronavirus. Here's hoping your warm weather comes soon!