Thursday, July 29, 2021

Happy thoughts at the beach

I'm not a huge fan of the hot, humid weather during summer, so the past couple of weeks has been the worst. I would love a nice relaxing day at the beach (preferably with a light, cool breeze -- is that asking too much?), but for now I'll live vicariously through this card:

Supplies:
Stamps: Totally Random Sayings Vol. 3 (Essentials by Ellen), Gorgeous Grunge (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Whisper White, Crumb Cake, Pool Party, Garden Green card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Pool Party, Crumb Cake (Stampin' Up!); Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko)
Accessories: Beach Chairs die (Rubbernecker Stamps), Grass #2 die (Rubbernecker Stamps), High Flying Kites die (Poppy Stamps), Whale of a Time sequins (Stampin' Up!), blending brush (Picket Fence Studios), Art GLitter Glue (Art Institute)

Doesn't that look so calm and relaxing?

I started with a Pool Party card base and decided where I wanted to position the horizon. Using a piece of paper (or a sticky note, masking paper, card stock scrap - whatever you have for a straight edge) to cover the top part of the card, I used a blending brush to add a bit of Pool Party ink to create the water.

For the sand, I cut a piece of Crumb Cake card stock as wide as the card base and then tore along the top. I wanted to add more texture, so I used a splatter-style stamp to add a bunch of little dots to the sand. (If you don't have a stamp, you could make your own splatter with a marker or watercolor paint.) Then I adhered that piece to the card base, making sure the top overlapped the bottom edge of the "water."

I die-cut and glued down a white Adirondack chair, several bits of green grass, and a few wispy little clouds. I finished the card with a stamped sentiment and three seashell sequins.

Thanks for stopping by!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Calm, relaxing and cooling for sure! The details make such a difference. At first glance, I didn't notice the splatter style stamp on the "sand" until I read the description...it's perfect. Those 3 little shells set the scene too! Super card for anyone who needs a little pick-me-up.
Judy

Anonymous said...

What a lovely calm, relaxing card Andrea! The chair is just waiting on you to come and sit onit and enjoy the beach! You want some cooler weather, while I am hanging out for Summer! We have had an exceptionally cold Winter this year, and I am DONE with it:-( Can I trade you some of our cool weather for some of your hot summer?!
The seasons are weird, one of my neighbour's has a tree with Autumn leaves still on it! We are coming to the end of Winter and it should have lost all it's leaves months ago!
Stay well:-)
Sunshine xx

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! I love how those little seashells look - I’m glad they were in the sequin mix! :)

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I would gladly take a few degrees of your cold weather or give you a few degrees of our heat! Although today the weather is much nicer and we’ve turned off the air conditioning for the first time in a couple of weeks.