Sunday, February 17, 2019

February Christmas card: Festive wreath

Since it definitely looks like Christmas around here, it seemed like a good weekend to make my February Christmas cards. And as a bonus, it gave me a chance to try out one of my new stamp sets.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Wreath Turnabout (Concord & 9th), Stitched with Cheer
Paper: Lucky Limeade, Very Vanilla card stock; Candlelight Christmas Specialty Designer Series Paper (DSP); gold foil sheets
Ink: Lucky Limeade, Tip Top Taupe, Early Espresso, Real Red
Accessories: Bunch of Banners Framelits dies, gold sequins (Craft Medley), stamp positioner (Tim Holtz), Mini Turnabout Jig (Concord & 9th), Dimensionals, Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter)

The inspiration for this card was a sample card on the Concord & 9th site that featured a autumn-colored wreath on a striped card base. I love florals or leaves with stripes, so I ran with it.

The first step was to look through my paper stash to find a colors that would work with a wreath. This sheet from the Candlelight Christmas DSP was perfect. It has four colors: Early Espresso, Real Red, Lucky Limeade and Primrose Petals. For my first attempt at stamping the wreath, I tried using all those colors, but Primrose Petals was too close to Real Red, and it didn't look right. So I took that one out of the mix and substituted in a light neutral, Tip Top Taupe.

The most time-consuming part of this design was definitely the stamping. The Turnabout stamps are really fun and not hard to do with a stamp positioner. But since I was making six cards of this design, and I had to stamp each complete focal panel before moving on to the next one, I had to keep cleaning off the stamp to switch ink colors.

Once the stamping was done, the rest of the card came together pretty easily. I adhered a 3-3/4" x 5-1/2" piece of DSP to an A2-sized Lucky Limeade card base, leaving a 1/4" border on each side of the DSP. I added a strip of gold foil to the top and bottom of the focal panel and adhered that over the DSP. Using Dimensionals I attached a banner with a sentiment in the middle of the wreath, and three gold sequins are the finishing touch.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

I like the colours you have used on here, they all blend in with each other really nicely! The gold foil and the sequins give it just enough bling to make it pop! Very pretty card Andrea!
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com