Monday, September 30, 2013

Simple, serene note cards

When I make a set of note cards to give as a gift, I naturally want them to look and feel like they belong together, they're part of a set. Sometimes that means I use the same design for each card and just change the sentiment or one color (for example, a set of floral cards where just the color of the flower changes). Or I might use the same layout and color combo and change only the image. Yesterday I made a set of eight very clean and simple cards that all have the same color combo, one stamp (the sentiment), and focal images composed of punched or die-cut card stock.

Supplies (all Stampin Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Four You
Cardstock: Soft Suede, Pool Party, Pear Pizzazz, Island Indigo, 4" x 5-1/2" note cards and envelopes (Paper Reflections)
Ink: Soft Suede
Accessories: Autumn Accents die; Beautiful Wings Embosslits die; Argyle, Woodgrain, Perfect Polka Dots and Chevron embossing folders; Petite Pennants and Cupcake builder punches; linen thread; rhinestones; paper-piercing tool; Mono Multi liquid glue; Glue Dots; Dimensionals

I divided the eight cards into two groups: four birthday cards and four hello cards. Within each of those groups, I made two cards with a more feminine design and two that were more masculine. (The photo above shows half the set; the complete set has two of each card shown.)

The first step I took was to choose the color palette. I wanted a neutral color for stamping the sentiment, so I selected Soft Suede. For the other three not-too-masculine-but-not-too-feminine colors, I chose Island Indigo, Pool Party and Pear Pizzazz. I like how the two lighter shades add softness to the darker tones, and all together I think they feel very serene.

Next, the focal images. For the birthday cards I chose a cupcake for the feminine card and a banner for the masculine version. (Tip: To create the banner, use a paper-piercing tool to make holes in the top corners of each pennant. Thread the linen thread on a needle and then string the pennants together.) For the hello cards I opted for a nature theme: butterflies and leaves.

I also used another method to unify these cards: they all have just one embellishment. The feminine cards have a single rhinestone as the candle flame and a group of three as the body of the largest butterfly. On the masculine cards I strung the pennants together with linen thread and tied a piece around the acorn stem. Embossing folders also added texture to the cardstock pieces on the masculine cards.

A simple set of note cards, yes. But all in all, I think a striking one, too. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: