Saturday, July 7, 2018

Card contest entries

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had made a couple of cards that I was entering in a card contest at a rubber stamp show. Well, the show was today, and ... I didn't win. Sigh. I was a little disappointed, but on the plus side, my friend Lisa and I had a great time. We learned some new tips and tricks, did some make-and-take projects and, of course, bought lots of new goodies.

The theme for today's card contest was "easy chair." Here are my entries:


I actually purchased this stamp set at the Stamp and Scrapbook Expo in June. I had been looking for a stamp set that fit the theme for this contest and when I spotted this set I liked it right away. Even better is that I really like the cards I made with the set!

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Make Yourself at Home (My Favorite Things), Floral backgroound
Paper: Brocade Blue, Whisper White card stock; Wood Textures Designer Series Paper (DSP) Stack
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, VersaMark; Warm Gray No. 3 marker (Copic); Bendabilities/
Blends: Old Olive, Night of Navy, Bronze

Accessories: Wonky Stitched Circles dies (My Favorite Things), Simply Scored tool, earth tones glitter buttons (American Crafts), linen thread, Dimensionals

For my first card I wanted to make a homey little scene, so I stamped and colored a few of the elements from the set and then cut them out. (Coordinating dies are available for this set, but I didn't get them. These pieces are easy enough for me to hand cut.)

I scored a piece of white card stock every 1/8" to look like wainscotting, and I used a piece of wood-patterned DSP as the floor. I attached the piece together and then die cut them with a wonky stitched circle die. I adhered the scene elements to the circle, using Dimensionals to pop up the chair and lamp.

I stamped a floral background image on a blue card base using VersaMark ink to create a subtle background. After adding the focal piece, I stamped a sentiment in the lower right corner and added three buttons tied with linen thread.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Make Yourself at Home (My Favorite Things)
Paper: Thick Very Vanilla card stock, The Thrift Shop patterned paper (October Afternoon)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Basic Black marker, Chocolate Chip marker
Accessories: Metallic enamel shapes, Large Stitched Rectangles Stackables dies (Lawn Fawn), Mono Multi, Glue Dots, Stamp-a-Ma-Jig

I thought the chair would be a great image for paper piecing, and I had the perfect paper: a pack of patterned paper with vintage-looking small patterns.

I played around with the layout for awhile and finally settled on a grid of nine chairs with space for a sentiment between the bottom two rows. Using a Stamp-a-Ma-Jig to help with placement, I stamped the chairs on a large vanilla stitched rectangle. Then I stamped the chair image on nine different patterned papers. I cut out the top part of each chair (the upholstered part, without the legs) and glued them all to the chairs stamped on the vanilla card stock. Tip: Before I glued down the patterned chairs, I rubbed the side of a black marker all along the cut edge. This covers up any little edges past the stamped lines and gives the images a more finished look. I also added pillows to a few of the chairs.

To finish the card, I colored the chair legs, stamped a sentiment and added two silver hearts. Then I adhered the entire panel to a Very Vanilla card base.

I'm sure I'll enter the contest again next year. They've already announced the themes, so maybe I should get started now! Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

Sunshine said...

Oh these are so cute! The little 'easy chairs' are just gorjuss! I love the Brocade Blue" card, what a yummy colour!
Both cards are "winners" in my book! Well done Andrea:-)
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I was disappointed, but there were quite a few entries, and I know that everyone has different style preferences (the vendors at the show voted on the cards to determine the winners). We don’t get the cards back, so I’ll have to remake these two so I can actually use them!