Thursday, April 4, 2013

Cork memo holder

A few years ago I bought a package of round cork trivets from Ikea because I thought they would make perfect memo boards. Well, last weekend I finally tackled the task, and here is the result:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!® except "Other supplies"):
Card stock: Whisper White
Accessories: Basic Gray stitched grosgrain ribbon, 7/8" and 1-1/4" scalloped circle punches, Brights buttons, Lucky Limeade ruffled ribbon, white baker's twine, Sticky Strip
Other supplies: Round cork trivet, hot glue gun

I think it turned out pretty cute! And it was really easy to make. I arranged four pieces of Basic Gray stitched grosgrain ribbon in a crisscross pattern across the front of the trivet. Using hot glue, I adhered the ribbons to the trivet just at the four places where they intersected; that way you can slip your notes under the ribbons. Then I glued the ends of the ribbons to the back of the trivet. For the hanger, I cut a longer piece of ribbon and glued the ends to the back of the trivet. (So the back of the memo holder isn't cute, but then the backs of my projects are rarely cute. You should see my counted cross-stitch.)

For the flowers I punched four 7/8" scallop circles out of Whisper White card stock. On each circle I snipped between the scallops toward the center of the circle to make petals. Using Sticky Strip I adhered a Daffodil Delight button tied with white baker's twine to the center of each flower, and then I gently curved the petals up around the button. I adhered the button flowers over the intersecting ribbons with hot glue.

For the larger flower, I punched two 1-1/4" scallop circles from Whisper White card stock. I snipped between the scallops on one of the circles, added a button with baker's twine and curved up the petals. Then I adhered it to the second scallop circle to make the flower look a little fuller. For leaves I added a piece of Lucky Limeade ruffled ribbon folded in half. I used hot glue to adhere the flower to the ribbon hanger.

Now that I have one memo holder done, maybe I'll be motivated to finish the other two (a girl can dream, right?). Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: