Monday, July 25, 2016

Pocketful of Sunshine card set

Obviously, I love to make cards. I love to send them, too. But most of the cards I send are for specific occasions, such as birthdays, and I'd like to get better at sending cards "just because." Are you the same way? Well, here's a set of cards perfect for sending a quick note or letting someone know you're thinking about them.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Pocketful of Sunshine stamp and die combo (Taylored Expressions), Just Jeans
Paper: 110-lb white (Recollections), Dapper Denim card stock; Let's Polka in the Meadow paper (Lawn Fawn)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Dapper Denim, Crumb Cake, Real Red, Daffodil Delight, Pool Party, Pear Pizzazz, Lucky Limeade, Pumpkin Pie
Accessories: Sweet Buttons Embosslits die, linen thread, googly eyes (Inkadinkadoo), Mono Multi liquid glue

Aren't they cute? I used the Pocketful of Sunshine stamp and die combo (from Taylored Expressions) with some basic coloring and paper piecing to make these clean and simple cards.

To start, I stamped the Just Jeans background stamp using Dapper Denim ink on Dapper Denim card stock and then die cut the pockets. I love the extra detail the background stamp adds to the pockets.

Once I decided where on the card I wanted to place the pockets, I stamped the main images directly on the card bases. I colored the image of the envelopes and flowers, adhered the die-cut pockets to the cards and stamped the sentiment below the pocket on each card.

After I colored the flowers I didn't like the color combination I'd used on the largest flower, so I added a die-cut button in the middle. Just another opportunity for embellishment, right? I also decided the pockets needed a little embellishment, so I added a small linen thread bow to each one.

For the cards with the frog and chick, I decided to paper piece the animals to add a little pattern and visual interest to the images. After I stamped the images on the card bases I stamped them again on patterned paper. I cut out the patterned images, glued them over the images on the card bases and colored in a few details with markers.

Both of the little critters have big round eyes that are perfect for googly eyes, so I had to add those for the cuteness factor. I think it's impossible to look at something with googly eyes and not smile -- at least it is for me.

I think the pocket die that came in this set is very versatile, and there are many ways it could be used without the coordinating stamps. You could make a back-to-school card (or accent for a scrapbook page) by having a couple of punch-art pencils and/or a ruler sticking out of the pocket. Small die-cut flowers could make a three-dimensional bouquet to tuck inside the pocket. And mini silver brads at the top corners of the pocket would look like rivets. I guess I have some ideas to try!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: