Thursday, May 12, 2016

Upcycled Mother's Day card

For Valentine's Day my parents gave me a pretty card with lots of flowers, a little sparkle, and beautiful colors. I didn't want to just toss it in the recycling bin, but I'm also trying to get better about not saving so much "stuff." So instead of either of those optins, I decided to upcycle it into a Mother's Day card. And now that Mother's Day has passed, I can share the card without the risk of ruining the surprise for my mom.

Additional supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Lovely Little Wreath (April 2016 Paper Pumpkin)
Paper: Perfect Plum card stock
Ink: Basic Gray, Perfect Plum, Crisp Cantaloupe, Old Olive, Always Artichoke, Strawberry Slush
Accessories: Labels Collection Framelits dies, Sherbet Ribbon Originals, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), Dimensionals, Mono Multi liquid glue

I chose my color scheme from the floral-patterned strip, which was the front of the Valentine's Day card. I used a piece of the back of the card for stamping the sentiment (Whisper White card stock seemed too bright compared to the white flowers), and the peach patterned paper behind the focal image was layered inside the card. Even the heart rhinestone was recycled. All I added was a Perfect Plum card base, stamp and inks, a bit of ribbon, and a little adhesive. Okay, I also used a set of Framelits dies and a corner rounder, but I think my upcycled card would have worked just as well without those tools.

I was really pleased with the way everything came together, and more importantly, my mom loved her card. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: