Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pretty papers

This week the childcare center where I work is closed for summer vacation. Yippee! Normally I would spend the week at home vowing to do all kinds of craft projects and instead end up watching a lot of TV. Now, I have nothing against that. I am a great supporter of relaxing stay-at-home vacations. But this year I decided to add a bit to it, so each day this week I'm going to try to go out and do something. Nothing big; just a fun outing.

Yesterday afternoon I went to see a movie -- Despicable Me 2, which was really cute -- and then did a little shopping (books, scented goodies, handmade chocolates from a local candy shop). In the evening I walked over to a local art supply store, Wet Paint. I love to wander around that store and drool over all the paints, brushes, canvases, papers and other materials, wishing that I knew how to use them all. I did buy three rolls of washi tape and two packs of origami-type papers: one pack was smaller and all the papers were coordinating blues, and the other pack was sort of a grab bag with all different sizes, colors and textures. See all the yumminess?

Today I went to a lecture/discussion about Sherlock Holmes that was part of a Chatauqua program at my alma mater, St. Catherine University. It was very interesting and entertaining. Did you know that there are some Sherlock Holmes societies whose members contend not only that Holmes was a real person, but that he is still alive? I certainly didn't. Side note: I absolutely love, love, love the CBS show Elementary, which is a modern-day version of Sherlock Holmes, set in New York. If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend it.

I also had a little time today to make some cards with a few of my new papers. They are all clean and simple cards because I wanted the papers to be the focal point.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Coastal Cabana, Strawberry Slush cardstock; Chiyogami papers (The Japanese Paper Place)
Ink: Coastal Cabana
Accessories: Simply Pressed Clay and Buttons and Blossoms molds, Aqua Painter, gold cord, Modern Mosaic embossing folder, Mono Multi liquid glue

It's hard to do justice to these papers in photos. There is a delicate gold outline around all the flowers and leaves, and it's amazing when it catches the light.  I love the little clay flower over the gold cord.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Early Espresso cardstock, Chiyogami papers (The Japanese Paper Place)
Accessories: Very Vintage Designer Buttons, gold thread (On the Surface), colored pearls (Doodlebug Design Inc. - Baby Boy assortment), Mono Multi liquid glue

I only had thin strips of the blue and gold flowered paper, so I trimmed the ends at an angle, mixed in a couple of coordinating papers and adhered them to the card base at different heights.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Night of Navy cardstock, Chiyogami papers (The Japanese Paper Place)
Ink: Night of Navy (left card only)
Accessories: Autumn Accents die, Woodgrain embossing folder, gold brad (unknown), gold thread (On the Surface), linen thread, Little Labels punch pack, Aqua Painter, Mono Multi liquid glue

This bright red paper printed with blue, green and yellow leaves immediately made me think of fall, so I used my Autumn Accents die to make some coordinating leaves from other pieces of the Chiyogami papers. Here is a tip for working with handmade or mulberry papers: If you want to create a torn-looking edge, as I did along the bottom of the pieces of printed paper, use a small paint brush with a little bit of water or an Aqua Painter to make a light line along the place where you want to tear. This will weaken the fibers a little so you can pull them apart more easily.

I still haven't used the washi tape I bought -- that might be a goal for Friday, when I think I might actually have a crafty day. Tomorrow I'm going to the Science Museum to see an exhibit and maybe an Omni theater show about the Maya and have lunch with my sister. Then if the weather cooperates, on Thursday I'm planning to spend the day at Minnehaha Park and Falls. Hope you have some fun plans in store for this week or weekend! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: